Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Leave


It was good to go home for a few days to see everyone. Sorry i didn't get to see you all, but time was limited. The adventure to get back here was just that. It started with me getting on a plane at Q-West and setting in the PAX terminal for about 4 hours waiting on the plane to land. We got into Kuwait at about 9pm local time, which was not too bad. Then we had to have all of these briefings on drinking and driving, domestic violence and bull like that. After the move I turned in my combat equipment to the warehouse and we went to find our room. The tent that was assigned to us in the tent city was full. So me and my fellow members of Delta company banded together to get in the same tent. So finally we get a place to sleep and then I thought it was a good idea to go to the only McDonald's in the Middle East. (Which was good at the time but I paid dearly for it later). So finally I went to bed with a few bathroom runs during the night. We got back to the terminal at about 730 watched another video and received our itineraries for our flights back to the states. They gave us about four our off until we had to be on lock down.
The lock down process was another joke. They had us all line up outside of the out processing building, and then we moved inside for about 4 hours. There was some delay with naval customs. After we were corralled out of the PAX center. They moved us to naval customs. Naval customs was no joke. Everything that we had was searched. They made everyone pull all of the contents of each bag out and separate it. While this is going on there is an inspector watching you? Everything is X-rayed twice just to insure that you are not trying to hide anything. After they destroyed my bags and everything in it we went to the holding area. The holding area was a place that had razor wire around the fence that out lined the area. This was so that there were no people trying to go AWOL and leave the country. We sat in the holding area for about an hour then were lined up outside to get on the bus. The bus ride was about two hours to Kuwait City were we boarded a plane to come back.

The plane ride sucked. Imagine being in one of those TV commercials and you’re the little guy stuck between two big guys, well that was me. I am not a little guy either. So the first leg of our plane ride was from Kuwait to Germany which was ok besides the fact I couldn't’t move at all. It took us about five hours to get there from Kuwait. After we landed there was a crew change and we were all reminded that we are not allowed to drink or purchase alcohol during the trip back. So we sat in a closed off terminal for about 30 minutes, then back on the plane. We left German and headed back to the states. The flight from German to the U.S. was just as bad as the flight there. Anyway we landed in the states about 13 hours later.
Once we were off the plane. We were directed through costumes again and then to the ticket counter. My bags were x-rayed for the third time and I headed to my planes gate. Well the rest is pretty easy to figure out.

Once i got home i had to do a little shopping. I went to the store and got a few new pair of shoes and some cloths. It was kind strange being around all these people and not having to worry about anything. The days went by fast. I spent most of the first week hanging out with friends and driving my car. New Years was very low key. We just hung out at momma cook's house and had some wine. Most of week one was spent in DEL. We headed to Sayre Pa to do a little car shopping. Which was fun (Sarah wants to get a hybrid). Spent that weekend in Sayre and then headed back to Albany on Sunday. The rest of the week was low key went to a few movies and then on Thursday i flew back to say my last good byes. I stopped by 14 to see everyone, but of course most people were on runs. Beth i tried to see you guys and i waited around the station for a few but you got sucked into the black hole of New Castle County. I had dinner with Megan and JC then headed back to Chestertown to say bye to my family. I flew back into Albany on Friday and the next two days flew by. Sunday morning i returned to Atlanta and flew back to the suck. We got back to Q-West until three day later.


No comments: